Lettering on Instagram!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Incline!

This is a bucket list item for 2015!!

This, my friends, is the Manitou Incline.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about it: The Manitou Springs Incline, also known as the Manitou Incline or simply the Incline, is a popular hiking trail rising above Manitou Springs, Colorado, near Colorado Springs. The trail is the remains of a former 3 ft (914 mmnarrow gauge[1] funicular railway whose tracks washed out during a rock slide in 1990. The Incline is famous for its sweeping views and steep grade, as steep as 68% in places,[2] making it a fitness challenge for locals in the Colorado Springs area. The incline gains over 2,000 feet (610 m) of elevation in less than one mile.

It definitely is a fitness challenge. See, I've lost 14 lbs since Christmas and I was finally feeling ready to tackle this beast. Let me tell you, it was hard! Up, up, up, up and up you go! Starts out at 6,600 feet in elevation and finishes near 9,000 feet! 

Here's our before shot:

It took me a bit over an hour to get to the top. I think if I do it again, I have a better strategy to do it a little quicker, but I'm not sure I'll ever do it as fast as Dan's fastest time of 38 minutes. The world record for getting to the top is around 16 minutes. That's insane folks.

Here we are at the end :)



Yup, Carson even did the Incline! He was ready to go much faster than I did!


After a strenuous hike up (and up and up), I felt rewarded to take the 4 mile Barr trail down. It had spectacular views, and like I said, it was going down the whole time, so it was a treat.


I've really taken a liking to hiking. I've enjoyed the chances to go while the kids are at school and just be refreshed by the mountain air and the exercise for my body. I'll miss it as I go to work full-time next year at Mesa Ridge High School as their choir accompanist. Not sure how I'll keep in shape, but I am looking forward to this new chapter of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment