Lettering on Instagram!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Retirement concert!

A few months ago I saw a link on facebook saying that my high school band director, Chip Staley, was retiring at the end of the year. I couldn't believe it! He is the kind of teacher that you can never picture retiring. He has done so much, influenced so many, and never lost his zeal and energy for his job.

Also part of the link was an invitation to join other alumni for a performance at his last concert. My husband was the catalyst and said, "You should go!" and so I did a quick search for flight prices and to my shock there was a $54 flight each way. It was meant to be! With a little help from friends here getting my kids to and from school, from my mom being my airport driver, and my dad for picking me up and housing me, the trip was a success!

I hadn't been to Naperville in 5 years, so it was a little weird to be back. My dad had to work so I walked their dog Maggie around the neighborhood and got in the reminiscing mood. I met my friend Lauren at Panera and met her brand new baby daughter! Then the concert night began at 7 at my old high school, Neuqua.

I snagged selfies (click here for all the pics) with all my old friends and teachers and spent a night honoring Chip Staley. We had a rehearsal in the band room before the concert and it seemed like it all hit him at once what was really happening. There were 50+ alumni there to be a part of his last concert and it moved him to tears. Good thing I wasn't playing a wind instrument or I don't think I would've been able to play!

The concert was thrilling. I forget just how amazing our high school program is, they sounded like professionals, truly. It was great to play even just a few chime notes as we all made music together. Here's a video of the final song with the alumni.


After the concert we had more time to reconnect at Tommy Nevins and I was able to thank two of my favorite/most inspirational teachers. If it weren't for them I know I wouldn't be who I am today. Even those who haven't pursued music as a career have learned life lessons from these two. But for me personally, it was Nancy Plantinga who recognized talent in a little girl who was wandering aimlessly through the world. I had no idea I had anything of worth to share. It was Chip Staley who shaped me into a fine musician and taught me how to live and love everything music. It was through marching band and my time as a Drum Major that I recognized leadership skills in myself. All of these are vital to who I am! I will be forever grateful. What a great experience!


After a late night (which was after a very early morning), I was able to spend the day with my Dad, which is a rare opportunity. We had fun doing a little shopping, redecorating/crafting and enjoying a yummy lunch!

So glad I got to spend time with friends and family in a quick but memorable trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment